Monday 6 February 2012

Ever So Slight Change Of Plan

OK, this is the blog that I NEVER wanted to write but it's here now and I have to deal with it.

It is with great frustration that I have to postpone my trek across the mighty Simpson Desert. It's not because of injury, work, nuclear war or anything of any real substance. No, it's a money issue and I HATE the fact that money has played such a big part. I knew it was going to be difficult to raise money for this trek but I didn't know how hard it would be, and in hindsight, 6 months is nowhere near enough time to organise such a massive event. I'm sure if it was my full time job then it would't have been a problem, but with two young boys and a burgeoning photography business to deal with, I simply need more time. On the nature front, there is also the possibility that the desert would be too wet this year as it has been for the last couple of years. There are several normally dry lakes that I would need to cross that are currently in flood, and with the rainfall of the past two years, there is every chance that I might have had to cancel at the last minute...which would have really sucked!

However, there is some relief mixed in with the frustration. I now have time to build a much better base fitness and strength. I can now do a test trek to see how much water I will need per day which may (fingers crossed) bring me back into the mix of a COMPLETELY UNSUPPORTED trek with no water drops. That also opens the door to going through the geographical centre and puts me in a category of only one other person having done that in history, which would be quite special.

As frustrating as the fact is that money has had such an influence on this trek, I also know how important it is to get this thing right and have all the safety provisions in place. Now I have more time to make sure that I raise enough so that I don't need to cut any corners!

'No Beers Till Birdsville'. Well, as much as I would like to tell you that I will still lay off them from now until Birdsville in 2013, I can't lie! However, as the trek will begin on June 29 2013, I pledge to you all now that I will have my last sip of alcohol on June 30 2012 and spend a year as a teetotaler! Again, if anyone out there wants to join me, you liver will thank you for it!

So, this is a new beginning and I have every intention of making it bigger and better than it could have possibly been this year. I will be doing some filming with some Tafe students some time this term which I will be using as part of a package to present to possible corporate sponsors. I will also be approaching the engineering faculty of universities to see if they can get their students to build me some sort of super light weight, aerodynamic cart with built in air conditioning and mp3 player, something inspired by this maybe! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3A9rLoz_0o

So please, keep following my blog, I still need your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment